Performance When Creating New Entities?

Developer
Sep 30, 2010 at 10:42 AM

I'm wondering what sort of experience people are having with creating entities? I've designed a data-migration process that pumps data into FIM via web-services as we can't easily ingest it all through MA's due to a lack of inbound sync-rules that I don't want to alter just for an initialisation scenario. The issue I have is that creating entities takes a long time. Even if I run the process on the FIM Service server itself, it takes about two seconds to create an entity.

Some aspects of our deployment involve migrating thousands of entities, and doing it this way would be too slow. The mitigating fact here is it's all being done in a pretty crappy virtual lab environment. It'd be faster in Production, but I don't know by how much (we need to wait until we get to our staging environment first to get some real hardware).

Has anyone had any experience with the WS performance or optimisations either FIM or client side?

Developer
Sep 30, 2010 at 2:30 PM

This is a well-known issue with the Web Service. The FIM MA has the same problem pushing objects from the Sync Engine.

-Jeremy

Sent: Thursday, September 30, 2010 3:43 AM
To: jeremy@palenchar.net
Subject: Performance When Creating New Entities? [fim2010client:229135]

I'm wondering what sort of experience people are having with creating entities? I've designed a data-migration process that pumps data into FIM via web-services as we can't easily ingest it all through MA's due to a lack of inbound sync-rules that I don't want to alter just for an initialisation scenario. The issue I have is that creating entities takes a long time. Even if I run the process on the FIM Service server itself, it takes about two seconds to create an entity.

Some aspects of our deployment involve migrating thousands of entities, and doing it this way would be too slow. The mitigating fact here is it's all being done in a pretty crappy virtual lab environment. It'd be faster in Production, but I don't know by how much (we need to wait until we get to our staging environment first to get some real hardware).

Has anyone had any experience with the WS performance or optimisations either FIM or client side?

Developer
Sep 30, 2010 at 2:39 PM

Thanks Jeremy. Do you know if the problem is evident with the Powershell method of pushing data to FIM?

Developer
Sep 30, 2010 at 2:44 PM

Folks have been able to improve the performance with powershell by disabling mpr’s and running powershell in a multi-threaded way. You could easily do the same with the web service client.

-Jeremy

Sent: Thursday, September 30, 2010 7:39 AM
To: jeremy@palenchar.net
Subject: Re: Performance When Creating New Entities? [fim2010client:229135]

Thanks Jeremy. Do you know if the problem is evident with the Powershell method of pushing data to FIM?

Developer
Oct 1, 2010 at 8:27 AM

Thanks, though MPR's (and workflows) are needed to transform our data once inserted, so we couldn't do that. Oh well, I'll have to do some profiling, I remember with ILM we had to optimise the hell out of the database; I'm wondering if there's scope for similar optimisations with FIM.