PWRegistrationClient - The registration workflow did not start. The FIM Service is not properly configured

Dec 7, 2010 at 3:34 AM

I have a customer that received some code that uses the Microsoft.ResourceManagement.Client.dll.  The customer seems to only have received the Microsoft.ResourceManagement.Client.dll as a compiled assembly along with some code that uses this assembly for starting the registration proces (code sample below).  When I use reflector against the assembly, I can verify is contains the PWRegistrationClient class.  However, when I download the latest code, this class no longer exists.  Was this class depricated, or is there another way to initiate the BeginAccountRegistration process?

Also, when I run the code below from a console client, I get the following message "The registration workflow did not start. The FIM Service is not properly configured" when I call BeginAccountRegistration.  Any ideas what might be causing this error to occur?  I have been unable to find any information in log files that leads me to a solution.

The calling code is below.

private static void Registration()
    {      
      CredentialCache.DefaultNetworkCredentials.Domain = _domain;
      CredentialCache.DefaultNetworkCredentials.UserName = _userName;
      CredentialCache.DefaultNetworkCredentials.Password = _password;

using (var client = new PWRegistrationClient(CredentialCache.DefaultNetworkCredentials))
      {
        try
        {
          String message;
          // Attempt to retrieve the security questions.
          if (client.BeginAccountRegistration(out message))
          {
            LogMessage("begin account registration success");
          }
          else
          {
            LogMessage(message);
          }
        }
        catch (Exception ex)
        {
          LogMessage(ex.Message);
        }
      }
    }
Developer
Dec 8, 2010 at 5:25 PM

Registration in FIM is modeled as an MPR: When a person inserts a workflow id into Person.AuthNRegistered, kick off the registration workflow.  The registration workflow (System Workflow Required for Registration) is a system OOB workflow that's used to bootstrap the registration process.  Make sure the MPR and workflow hasn't been deleted.  I think the MPR can be deleted but FIM prevents workflow deletion.

But, where are you seeing this message?  This message only gets output from the FIM PWReset Client Proxy service.  Unless someone copied that error message into their own client, I'm not sure how/where you are getting this message.